Skip to page content or skip to Accesskey List.
P Plates

Main Content

Car Insurance

It's up to you how you want to insure your car, but you are required by law to have a minimum level.

Types of car insurance

Compulsory third party ('third party')
This level of insurance is the compulsory minimum, which you are required to pay along with your vehicle registration. It covers only the cost of personal injury to other people if you are at fault in an accident (medical bills, for example).

Third party property damage ('third party property')
This level of insurance covers the cost of any damage you cause to someone else's vehicle or property (e.g. repairs to a car, bike or fence).

Third party property damage, fire and theft ('fire and theft')
This offers the same over as third party property insurance, but also includes the cost of fire damage and replacement of your vehicle if stolen.

Full cover motor vehicle ('comprehensive')
Comprehensive insurance offers the greatest financial protection, covering the cost of most things that can happen to your vehicle and to other parties involved. Costs and conditions vary between insurance companies and policies.

Car Insurance companies

There are many car insurance companies to choose from – comparing the different policies can save you money and help you find insurance that suits your situation. All state automobile clubs (NRMA, RACV, RACQ, RAASA, RACWA, RACT and AANT) offer vehicle insurance – some even offer reduced insurance rates to members.


The access keys for this page are: ALT (Control on a Mac) plus: